Obese cats are so common that you could not even understand that your cat has problems. The best way to understand if your cat is underweight or overweight is to go by look and feel. It must be easy for you to feel the ribs when you move your hands along your cat’s body but ribs should be covered with fat over them. If ribs can be easily seen or felt it means your cat is underweight. If it is very hard or almost impossible to feel the ribs it means he is overweight.
We can feel the back in the same way, it must be easy for you to feel it when you move your fingers along the back, but it shouldn’t be too much easy or obvious. When you stand over your cat, you can see the torso tuck in where the ribs finish. If thetuck is over-shaped or exaggerated, it is a sign of an underweight cat, with overweightcats you may not feel tuck at all.
It is a very good idea to make notes of your cat’s weight. when he is fit and well you can use this number to controlhis weight.
When cats can lose weight?
- Small portion of food – it can be due to underfeeding or using wrong type of diet.
- Diabetes mellitus – As glucose can’t enter the cells the body will feel lack of energy, so the body begins to use fat stores as an alternate fuel source.
- Hyperthyroidism – it is an endocrine disorder the reason is tumor of the thyroid gland.
- Kidney disorders like glomerulonephritis
- Addison’s disease is the disorder when there is deficiency of corticosteroids which should be produced from adrenal glands.
- Cancer – Many types of cancer like adenocarcinoma, sarcoma.
- Problems connected with teeth, which be reason of pain when cat eats and as a result he will not eat enough. Parasites in Intestine such as cryptosporidium, giardia, roundworm
- pancreatic insufficiency (Exocrine) – A disease caused by a disorder of the pancreas to secrete normal levels of pancreatic enzymes and as a result the digestion will not be normal or properly.
- Viral infection, similar to HIV in humans.
- Feline leukemia virus – FeLV is type of viral infection it is in the same family like a feline immunodeficiency virus. It is called an oncovirus, it means that it can cause cancer. And It depresses the immune system.
- Heartworm disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Liver disease
- Pancreatitis – An inflammation in the pancreas caused by activated pancreatic enzymes they easily begin to break down and digest the organ from inside.
- Pyometra – Infection of the uterus.
- Stressful situations which can be reason of losing appetite.
Why cats gain weight?
How much should a cat eat?
There are several ways to understand the normal amount of food your cat must eat. For example, a kitten will eat more often but smaller meals than usually. For pregnant or lactating cats it is preferably to eat more food than usual. A young or active cat who moves almost all the time will consume more than a sedentary cat. There are no definite and fast rules to do this. The typical weight of a healthy domestic cat is between 7 and 10 pounds.